Holman rule

Holman rule: Purging federal employees

Republicans in Congress are binge-ing and purging–but their disorder isn’t of the eating variety. They are binge-ing on power and setting the stage–via passage of the Holman Rule–for political purging of federal employees. I’ve just called my U.S. Congressional Representative, Republican Ann Wagner. I called to register my protest against the Holman Rule, which was…

How Verizon convinced me to use paper ballots

Two things happened to me over this past weekend to strengthen my conviction that paper ballots are superior to electronic voting machines. The first was my experience upgrading my cell phone at a local Verizon Wireless store. The second, and more widely reported, was revelation that Russia had succeeded in hacking into state voter registration…

What Obama and Sanders can do to keep “the Bern” alive while helping Clinton

President Barack Obama and presidential candidate Bernie Sanders met on Thursday, June 9, 2016 to discuss “where do we go now” following the primaries and caucuses in California and five other states. Shortly thereafter, he endorsed Hillary Clinton, in a paid video by the Clinton campaign. In the announcement, the president said that the differences…

Defeating supply-side economics with supply-side democracy

One of terms with which Republicans couch their conservative views is supply-side economics. It sounds innocent enough, but history since the “Reagan Revolution” has shown us that it tends to benefit the 1% (only in the short run) and stagnate growth for the remaining 99%. Ironically, one of the ways in which we might be…

Noam Chomsky: On capitalism and why electing Bernie isn’t enough

    In a recent interview in Jacobin, linguist, philosopher, and political activist Noam Chomsky gave an interesting answer to a question about the American capitalist system. He basically said we don’t have one. We have something else, more akin to “state capitalism.” And by not being engaged and involved in the political process, we’ve allowed corporations and banks to “run things,” to…

Elizabeth Warren: Change will happen when enough people say “I’m mad as hell”

At a recent conference of media and tech influencers, a member of the audience asked Elizabeth Warren a simple question. Her spontaneous and passionate answer was breathtaking. It’s always breathtaking to me when someone speaks the truth—that Washington DC, the White House, and Congress, primarily serve the rich and powerful. Warren says, with great emotion,…